In February, the Salem and Keizer communities were hit with severe inclement weather, causing widespread power outages across the district. With students and staff accessing classes through comprehensive distance learning, ongoing power outages impacted the ability for classes to continue, causing a week of school closures for SKPS students.
Due to these school closures and the transition to hybrid learning for students in grades K-12, the district needed to make the following adjustments to the 2020-21 academic calendar:
Key changes for SKPS parents/guardians:
- April 8 – School day for Elementary/ No student contact day for Secondary (EDGE program continues as previously scheduled)
- April 9 – School day for Elementary/ No student contact day for Secondary (EDGE program continues as previously scheduled)
- April 12 – Updated to full student support Monday, previously partial grading day for secondary
- June 8 – Additional day added for SKPS high school graduation ceremonies
- June 17 – Last day for students, previously June 15.
The full updated academic calendar, including a breakdown of key dates for parents and guardians, is available on our district website.