Instructions for students to log into Canvas
- Go to the WSHS website. If it is on a computer, on the right-hand side you will find “Canvas student login” or if on a phone, you will find it down towards the bottom.
- Click on the link and it will ask you to give your user id and password. This is your school ID and the password you have set up in the years past.
- Enter that information and it will link you to your Canvas account.
- Once Synergy has loaded your classes, you should be able to see your courses, along with announcements and notifications.
Help on Navigating Canvas as a student
- Watch the YouTube video “Canvas Overview for Students Global Navigation”
- Canvas Calendar is a great tool to help you keep up on due dates. In Canvas, click on the “Calendar” tab on the left side of page at any time to see due dates. Additionally, please watch for due dates on My Student portal grades. A rule that will help you: Look at due dates on My Student portal for what will be coming
Sometimes the documents you send will be unreadable to the teacher, especially when you submit from home. The best way to make sure your teacher receives your assignment clearly is to save them as a PDF.
How to save a document as a PDF and submit it!
Any Google Products
- After you have completed a Google Doc, Slide, or Template— select the “File” tab, then Download, and PDF document (if a Google Product).
- To Submit: Click the red submit button on the upper left corner of your assignments. Click the Upload button on the bottom (middle of the submission page. Find in your English Folder and Upload the PDF – file— Not other documents.
- After you have completed a Micosoft Word, PowerPoint, or Excel Spreadsheet, click on “File” and then “Save As”.
- Select where you have created your course folder, for example, the “Desktop”
- Name your file “My English 9th Grade PDF’s”
- Click “Save as type”, and select PDF
- Select “Save”
To Submit: Click the red submit button on the upper left corner of your assignments. Click the Upload button on the bottom middle of the submission page. Find the folder where you saved your document of PDF for the assignment. Select the document (or PDF) you need to upload for the assignment. Last, make sure you click “Submit Assignment” button.
Submitting Assignments- Non PDF
Link to watch: https://youtu.be/4RAsaH6azso
Here are a few tips to keep you organized:
- Create a folder on your computer or in Google Drive as a place to save all of your assignments.
- When saving files into your folder, include the assignment title and your last name in the file name. It will be easier for you to find and submit the correct assignment if it has a matching name. This class helps you build a platform for later high school assignments —So make sure you have titles so you can easily find them in years to come!
Successfully completing an online course requires additional skills outside of those necessary for doing well in a traditional face to face course. A successful online learner:
- Has access to a reliable computer and Internet provider.
- Communicates frequently and effectively with the teacher.
- Is a self-motivated learner.
- Has as much time to commit to an Internet course as to a traditional course.
- Is able to successfully send and receive email messages.
- Is comfortable with using an Internet browser to navigate the Internet and locate information.
How do I upload a file as an assignment submission in Canvas?
- Open Assignments. In Course Navigation, click the Assignments
- Select Assignment. Click the title of the assignment.
- Submit Assignment. Click the Submit Assignment
- Add File. …
- Submit Assignment. …