Dear West Salem students and families,
As we approach the end of the modified moratorium period for OSAA sports, it’s important for you to know how our school will be transitioning into an optional “open period” for students to participate.
Starting on Monday, Oct. 5, OSAA sports programs will have the option to hold voluntary in-person conditioning, training, or practices similar to what was allowed during this past summer break.
Coaches will provide additional information for their specific programs to families.
How will “Season 1” sports be structured?
- Similar to summer activities, during the open period, limited in-person activities can occur on an optional basis.
- All activities will follow current “phase 2” OSAA guidelines in coordination with guidance from the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) and the Oregon Health Authority (OHA).
- Priority for facility use will be given on a structured basis, outlined below.
Season 1 structured schedule:
- (Current) Modified Moratorium: Aug. 31–Oct. 4
Focus on getting students started with the school year, care and connection and social emotional learning. Learn more.
- Season 1A: Oct. 5–28
Priority for spring sports, second priority for fall sports, third priority for winter sports
- Season 1B: Oct. 29–Nov. 30
Priority for fall sports, second priority for winter sports, third priority spring sports
** Modified moratorium and Thanksgiving break: Nov. 21-29
- Season 1C: Dec. 1-24
Priority for winter sports, second priority for spring sports, third priority fall sports
What do I need to know to participate in Season 1 Sports?
To be eligible to participate in Season 1A, 1B and 1C open period sports, students must:
- Have a valid physical on file in their school athletic department: OSAA form. (Sports)
- Complete registration and all requirements, through Family ID, which is accessible on our school website.
- Complete COVID-19 participation agreement and monitor all signs and symptoms prior to participation in conditioning, training or practices.
Participation in any “Season 1” optional conditioning, training or practices are completely voluntary. The decision to participate or not participate in any of the optional activities will not in any way be used in determining placement for seasons 2, 3 or 4.
For participation in season 2, 3 or 4 sports, students must also meet OSAA academic eligibility requirements. More information about the academic requirements can be found on our district website.
Health and Safety
For all SKPS athletic programs, all safety protocols and procedures will be followed, which includes guidelines for training, facility usage, practices, coaching, time limits, cleaning, screening, PPE and storage. Students are not allowed access to facilities without an approved coach or director present. All students, guardians and coaches must sign the SKPS COVID-19 participation agreement prior to accessing facilities. It is also required for anyone using district facilities to wear face coverings at all times.
In addition to athletics, the district is currently evaluating how to engage students through all OSAA activities such as music programs. As we continue to finalize our plans to prioritize the safety and wellbeing of all students and staff, we will share information with you as soon as possible.
For more information on OSAA sanctioned sports and activities through the 2020-21 school year, please visit the OSAA website.